Informal Agreements

Following family separation it is important for you to develop an agreement of some sort in order to provide you all with a framework from which to organise important things like how your child will spend time with their parents and how you will handle communications with each other and the children.

You may not want to go to court or to involve solicitors or any third-parties in your separation – and that’s ok, you don’t have to, but if you want to find out the benefits of some external support then please have a look through the other information pages on this website.

If you just want to have an informal (i.e. not legal or mediated) agreement, and there have been no elements of domestic abuse within your relationship then we suggest following a structured framework as per the attached checklist below.

If you have been the victim of domestic abuse then you may wish to use a third party such as a solicitor or the court to help you produce a more suitable framework that protects you and the children.

It’s important to note that your agreement should be tailored to your family needs and should cover any areas that you all feel are important. Agreements should not be dictated from one parent to the other and instead should take all people’s views into consideration, focusing on what is best for the children.

If you can’t agree, then you could use a mediator to help you reach a mediated agreement or use a solicitor to reach a legal agreement. If this doesn’t work then you could apply to the court for a court order.