Your Family’s Safety

If you or your family are in immediate danger, please call the Police on 999. Otherwise please contact the Police on the non-emergency telephone number 101 or visit your local police station to speak with an officer confidentially.

Many people feel vulnerable and may be concerned about the safety of themselves and their children. This can include:

  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Verbal abuse
  • Mental abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Controlling and coercive behaviour

No-one should have to suffer domestic abuse. Domestic abuse can be experienced by both men and women, and is carried out by men and women. Domestic abuse can happen at any point in a relationship, including after you have separated.

Court Orders for Your/Your Family’s Protection

If you are worried about your safety, or the safety of your children, you may want to consider applying for one of the following orders:

  • Non-molestation order (order to protect you from domestic abuse and harassment)
  • Occupation order (regulates the use of the family home, including excluding someone from it)

You may qualify for legal aid and can find out more information here. You may wish to seek further information from a lawyer or support organisation which can be found on the right-hand side of this page.

Safeguarding Concerns

Dependent on whether you have safeguarding concerns and what those concerns are, you may want to suspend contact between the children and your ex. Alternatively, contact can happen on a supervised or supported basis in a contact centre.

Where you are concerned that abuse is happening you can access further information here for Kent Children’s Services and here for Medway Children’s Services.

More information on domestic abuse support can be found here.