Mediated Financial Agreements

SSFA: Kent Finances

A mediator can help you and your ex-partner agree on how to split money and property, without taking sides.

Mediation is not relationship counselling. It can help you agree on how you’ll divide your assets, including:

  • pensions
  • property
  • savings
  • investments

Mediation can be quicker and cheaper than asking a court to decide for you.

You need to attend a mediation information assessment meeting (MIAM) before you start mediation.

The mediator may decide mediation is not right for you (for example, if there’s been domestic abuse and you need to go to court instead).

How much it costs

A MIAM is usually about £30. If you need more mediation sessions they cost more and fees vary depending on where you live.

Check if you can get legal aid for mediation.

Making your agreement legally binding

At the end of mediation you’ll get a document showing what you agreed. This agreement is not legally binding.

If you want a legally binding agreement you need to draft a consent order and get a court to approve it. The consent order can be based on what you agreed in mediation.

If you need more help agreeing

You can:

If you do not agree on everything

You can ask a court to decide on anything you have not agreed on.

Information retrieved from on 28 October 2020 under the Open Government Licence v3.0